Tuesday 13 September 2011

Hexipuffs & the Beekeepers Quilt

One thing I have been looking forward to since I found out I was pregnant is creating memories and family traditions. I love looking at the albums I have from when I was younger and the little traditions we had at Christmas time and birthdays, and I can't wait til Evie is old enough for us to start making our own.

I also remember the granny square crochet blanket, made by my Mum, that we used to cwtch up underneath when we were ill, or to watch TV together. So, when I saw the gorgeous Beekeepers Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits, it was love at first sight and I definitely have to make one for our own cwtchy nights in. 

This blanket has been designed to look like a quilt with little knitted hexagons that are stuffed and sewn together. Each little hexipuff (as they have been named) is a tiny little project in itself, and will hopefully appeal to the crafty side of me that needs instant gratification. As they only need a few grams of yarn each, this is also an ideal stash busting project - for which Hubby will be eternally grateful I'm sure. :)

I am not going to put a deadline on it, but hope to make at least one little hexipuff a day. These little knitted puffs have really taken off in the knitting world with plenty of fans and knit-alongs on Ravelry, a Facebook group and plenty of blog posts showing people's progress - just search Google for Beekeeper's Quilt.

I made my first hexipuff yesterday (definitely need some practice) which isn't quite perfect and did take some getting used to, though it does give me a chance to try some new cast on and cast off techniques. I will post progress weekly & look forward to meeting all you hexipuff addicts. Very glad I'll have some time to get started while on maternity leave..... 

1 comment:

  1. I've just started this – they're very quick little projects, good for instant gratification!

    ReplyDelete